
I used to have a very bad habit of making lists of lines in movies that I thought were exceptional. It's not such a terrible thing, except that it's best that I watch those movies alone, or else another might have to be subjected to my rewinding, reversing, or pausing, until I get the lines copied right. Somewhere, in a drawer somewhere, on wrinkled paper, or in a PC that is away in storage, are many such lines. I'd almost stopped this habit, until I saw The Reader. And I watched the movie twice within a 24 hour period. It was beautiful. It was exceptional... and so were the lines that I want to share: It's the story of a love affair between a young boy and an older woman, over the length of one summer. He read to her, every day; hence, the title. And these were his thoughts, regarding his love for this woman:
"I"m not frightened. I'm not frightened of anything. The more I suffer, the more I love. Danger would only increase my love, or sharpen it, or give it more spice. I will be the only angel you'll need. You will leave life, even more beautiful than you entered it. Heaven will take you back and look at you, and say, "Only one thing can make a soul complete, and that thing is love.""
Kate Winslet, as always, was awesome, in her part. Without a doubt, Ralph Fiennes, playing the young boy, once grown into a man, was wonderful. More, I was impressed with the lad, David Kross, that played the young boy. He had a way of imparting emotion, that I have not seen in quite some time. A true talent, whom I look forward to seeing again, in future movies. The fact that he had to learn the English language, to play the part, says much for his talent.
The movie is about love... first love... and awakenings. It is about love... and hard sacrifice. And... it is about the choices that we make, and how they effect us for the all of our lives. It is also about the things we want to believe, when we love... even though they may not turn out to be so true, in the end. But... it is about love.







No comments:
Post a Comment