Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 Random Things About Me...














I recently found myself at Facebook, where I am interacting with people that I went to school with most of my life, grew up with, hung out with, spent the night with... and their children even have Facebook sites. It's an entirely different sort of venue, but I believe that it popped up just in time for my "coming full circle" experience... in fact, is an intregal part of it.

Anyway, someone sent me one of those "Write 25 Random Things About Yourself"... and you know what? I love to yip-yap so much, I found sneaky ways to get in more than 25 things, and even added two extra, so I have 26 and 27, as well. Here they are... it was a nice introspection for me. Most of it has already been shared, here and there over time... but was interesting seeing it all written out in a row.

1. The very first thing I ever wanted to be was a Social Worker.
2. My favorite flowers are violets and daffodils; as deep, rich, strong, and fragrant as the
earth... and as bright as the sun.
3. I learned to play the guitar over the phone one summer.
4. I love, love, love the wind... and the sound of the ocean; the smell of fresh green grass
and the feel of warm sun on my face.
5. I love to write and wish I had more uninterrupted time to devote to serious writing.
6. I was very shy as a little girl and my mother dressed me funny :D
7. I was in the army for two years, and those two years gave me the opportunity to see
outside my own back door... and I will never forget them, nor the bonds that were made.
8. I was a mail-carrier for 15 years and had I not left to move to Germany I would be
retiring real soon! Whah! Whah!
9. I lived in Germany for 2 1/2 years, saw Paris, and I've also visited Panama twice. I
LOVED Panama!
10. I was enrolled in nursing school right after high school, but I hated dissecting cats!
11. I love animals of all kinds, especially cats and dogs, cats being my favorite. Get it?
12. I love singing when I am by myself and I've always wanted to accompany someone else,
singer (I did play the guitar and sing at a youth group church social, once)... but I
really would secretly like to be a blues singer... hee hee.
13. I really love guitar and used to play a lot of folk songs when I was a kid, most of which
I've forgotten, but lately I've been hearing a lot of them and going, "Oh, I used to play
that!"
14. I feel that I am tolerant of all people and believe I show acceptance, love, and
compassion for all people, regardless of race, religion, social stature, or particular
culture.
15. I hate lies, dishonesty, and half-truths.
16. I am truthful to a fault and far too open.
17. I actually love opera.
18. I used to fish when I was little, but now I don't want to hurt the fish OR the bait!
19. I come from a family that likes to laugh a lot... and I like to laugh a lot, especially at
myself, but it feels better when someone laughs with me (key word: with).
20. If I had a usable skill I would join the Peace Corp and make myself useful in some
remote part of the world.
21. I like to feel needed.
22. I am an nurturer, by nature, but I like to be nurtured back; in fact, it is required :-)
23. I would like to be a healer and am interested in various alternative modes of healing.
24. I believe Love is the most powerful energy that there is.
25. I have Faith and I Believe.
24. I am always picking up rocks, stones, bits of wood, and feathers.
25. I am enchanted by butterflies, dragonflies, and bees.

OK... I'm cheating... I've got two more :o

26. I've always wanted to go on an extended backpacking trip.
27. I once climbed to the top of The Sandia's in New Mexico ... 10, 678 ft.... and I once
climbed a glacier in Alaska and peered down into the deep, beautiful, blue depths of an
ice crevice.


I can't believe it, but one of my friends responded to me saying that she remembered all the times she used to come over and spend the night and we'd have picnics in the woods. We were 14, and I didn't remember the picnics in the woods, but it sounded like something I would have done... and she remembered that I used to love to sing and that I was always singing Down In The Boondocks, by Billy Joe Royal. I do remember that was one of my favorite songs back then, and she said I sang it quite well. A lot of my memory is gone. I can remember "essence" but not "detail"... but this girl could even remember that the sandwiches my mother made were egg-salad. I found it hard to believe that I ever sang that song for her, so I figured that we must have been singing, together, while it was playing on the radio... but she said that I used to just sing all the time while we were walking or whatever, as she put it, and that was the one song she remembered. I do remember singing, but not in front of other people, like that... it was a nice memory for her to have shared with me... about someone that I had, in many ways, forgotten.

There was a time, apparently, when I really was like that girl up on the rooftop!

I'm not gonna tag anybody, because I know how some people hate those things, but if anyone wants to do the same on their blog, I'd love to read about it... or here, in my comments, even. And who knows what you may remember about your own self.

Peace...

2 comments:

Maithri said...

Wow! So great to learn a little more about you my friend...

I havent got the guts to go on facebook... i spend way too much time bloggin as it is ;)

You climbed a glacier?? Wow!

Much love my friend,

M

Shimmerrings said...

I don't know how I ended up on facebook, but it's quite different than this type blog. Photo albums, silly games, you can post music, videos, etc... and you can even chat. Most of my communication there is one liners, and when you post a comment a message gets posted on your friends wall telling them that you just posted a comment and where you posted it... of course, you may or may not be able to read it, depending on the settings of the place where it was posted, you can also post private notes that only certain ones can read, and it notifies you, basically, about everything, like if someone posted new pics, etf. It also has a friend finder and you can search for people you know by school, college, organization, etc. This blog, here, is much better for more deep, personal or lengthy story-telling... facebook seems better for keeping in touch in a more light-weight and casual way. I spend too much time bloggimg, too... but you know how I feel about writing... I can't not write.

Yeah, I climbed a glacier, pretty cool, huh? It was just a small portion of one, but still... it was pretty darned neat.

Love to you...