Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ella





This is the woman
who"half-raised me"
She was
"my second mama"
I loved her so.
I love her still.
I always will.





She was with me from the time I was two until I was about nine. I was heart broken when my mother told me that it was time for her to let her go, because she felt that we couldn't afford her anymore. She had hired her to help around the house and look after me, when my mother went back to work two years after I was born. I never think of my childhood without thinking of her. She was just always there, five days a week for seven straight years. I remember her rocking me, and when I got too old to rock I'd beg her still, "Please, Ella, please rock me. Pretend like I'm a little baby, just once, Ella, please?" I loved feeling safe in her arms. But, as time went on, she would no longer rock me, telling me I was too big for all that, now. I must've been all of four or five. It had been very hard weening me from those warm and loving arms.

I can still see her standing in the kitchen ironing clothes, and I can still hear her singing hymns and spiritual songs as she ironed, and all day long as she did her chores. And I remember when she was new to our home... I, standing in the doorway of the kitchen, in my little girl panties, little dare-devil that I was, and threatening, by gesture, to throw a tiny rubber ball in her direction... and she warming me, with that stern look on her face, "You better not do that, now... you better mind me, you better not throw that ball." Somehow, I knew that I had best not. But, I gently sent it in her direction, awaiting a response.

On her last day, it was the hardest thing to bare. I walked her down the path, as I had done many times, and kissed the palm of her hand for one last time. How would I survive without my Ella? She'd always been there, an entire lifetime for me. Who'd be there, now, when I came home from school, to make sure everything was ok? Who'd have supper cooked, by the time my mama came home? It just did not seem fair, I could not understand the reasoning of why I had to lose someone from my life, who had always been a part of my life... who had always been my family.

As the years went rolling by, she moved up to Connecticut to be near her daughter in her declining years... but she came back to South Carolina from time to time and we'd always be sure to visit... and she lived long enough to see both of my children, my two boys. She thought that my youngest looked just like me when I was small. I was happy and pleased to know that she hadn't forgotten how I looked, way back when I'd first fallen in love with her, all those many years ago... close to thirty, by then.

When she died, at her families request, my brother, who is a minister, preached her funeral (as they say down South). She was buried just down the road from where I grew up. When my own dad passed away, and the family was all here, we took a drive down to the cemetary where she's buried and stood a long while at her grave. There were many memories and much warmth in those moments that we stood there. She was the most loving and gentle spirit that I have ever known, and a good southern cook, too. My brother remembers her pancakes, but I remember her lemon pies.

Her husband's name was Beechie. She was my second mama. She was my Ella. I loved her so... and I always will.

17 comments:

Spicy said...

Everyone should have a bit of Ella in our lives..someone who takes the time to rock us..or sing to us. That's a beautiful story..I'm sure Ella is smiling down on you.

Shimmerrings said...

Funny thing, I don't even remember my mama ever rocking me, but I'm sure she must've. We all loved Ella very much, and she was very much like a part of our family. My mother paid into her social security for all the years that she worked for us. Glad you're still dropping by, Matty.

singleton said...

"and she warming me, with that stern look on her face"....from the very get go, warming you up, pulling you in, loving you....Bless your Ella, sweetie, and all the love she rained on you...May she always, always be near....
peace~love~lingerings

Shimmerrings said...

Oh my gosh, singleton... I didn't even realized I typed it that way... how the subconscious does play...

singleton said...

it was meant to be....
As was she.....

I can't imagine it typed any other way....

beautiful....

Dust-bunny said...

Dear Shimmerings,

What a beautiful post. How lucky you were to have someone so dear and kind in your life. I can imagine how sad you were when you had to say good-bye...but I'm sure you're very thankful for all the time you had with her.

Shimmerrings said...

Hi Lisa... yes, I'm very Blessed to have known her... and to have known her kind of love and gentleness.

Maithri said...

This brings tears to my eyes,

Its lovely to meet you,

Sending you love and light,

Maithri

Marc said...

One can really tell your love by reading this. Beautiful.

Shimmerrings said...

Maithri, it pleases me to know that I was able to express this enough that another can feel the emotion. Thanks for dropping in, and hope you will return. Love and Light back at'cha.

Shimmerrings said...

Marc, thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you could feel the love. I had a lotta fun colorizing her photo, too, and adding little butterflies. Please drop by again.

Spicy said...

Shimmerings,
I'm always dropping by...sometimes I identify with the post...so I will comment..and sometimes I don't..but I always visit.
I love the fact that you are writing more.
good wishes going your way.

Shimmerrings said...

Same here, Matty, I always drop by your place and read, even if I don't comment. I've been getting more writing time in, lately... perhaps because I got laid off? Lol... thinking of entering a writing contest, too.

Jaliya said...

I'm posting long after you wrote this piece ... but I found it today, Mother's Day ... I came to your blog via Maithri's ...

I too had, and still have (Bless her, she's still alive), my "Ella" ... Mine is "Baka"... She too "warmed me, with that stern look on her face" ;-)

... She still does ... She is my spiritual mother, my guardian angel, my "third-eye spy" ;-)

She was hired by my mother to be a "cleaning lady" when I was five ... She came from Europe after WWII with her husband -- he was a scholar, philosopher and calligraphic artist; she was an accountant -- and also a philosopher --> She told me that everyone from her home -- Yugoslavia -- was a philosopher ...

She is one of the rocks in my life ... a constant, steady source of love and integrity; fantastic conversation about the things that matter; tortes and pastries that would be the envy of great European chefs ...

Our Ellas. They are gifts ...

Shimmerrings said...

Jaliya, thanks for dropping by. It's always good to connect with someone who knows just what I mean, because when words come up short, the Heart fills in the blank spaces... I'm glad you still have yours. I don't mean this to sound irreverent, but when my oldest son was 5 we got a puppy... her name was Jiggsie. Jiggsie lived a very long time. In her adult years, she always reminded me of Ella's love... everything about her was warm and wise and full of nothing but unconditional Love. She was a comfort and a reminder. What a nice day to remember, again... on Mother's Day! And so fortunate that I still have my mother, so that's a double whammy!

Jaliya said...

I completely get it about Jiggsie ... that flavour of love comes from so many sources ... :-)

Shimmerrings said...

Jaliya, I published your last comment, but it did not show up... may be some kind of delay, but Jaliya said: "I completely get it about Jiggsie ... that flavour of love comes from so many sources ... :-)"

... and my response to that is... You are so right! Isn't Love a wonderful, marvelous... beautiful thing!