Sunday, October 07, 2007

In A Place of Ancient Promise


WE took a trip to Edisto Island. It was his families yearly week long stay.



The first evening, he took this photograph of what we saw across the horizon, above the sea. Not just a rainbow, but a double rainbow, if you look closely enough. A rainbow that would doubly insure the Promise of Hope. I felt a sense of Peace and Awe. Before the evening was over, my son would call me from inside a football stadium, several hours away.

My son did not call for just a little chitty chat. Instead, he had called to share with me what he had witnessed moments before. Inside the middle of the stadium, shooting up out of the center of the football field, had appeared a rainbow. But, not just a rainbow... it had been a double rainbow. I was touched by what he had shared, and had felt a significant connection. Part of the connection I had felt was with my son, that he would take time away from this gala football event, to give his old Ma a call and share of the beauty and wonder that he had experienced in that moment. When he saw the rainbow he had known, immediately, he had shared, that they would win the game. And it was so. In that moment of sharing, I knew that I had not failed him. I had taught him to read the signs. He had recognized them, and he had trusted in them. And I knew that the universe had not failed him. Inside of him had, somehow, remained a measure of trust, that in life we will not always fail. He had retained enough of a connection between his own spirit and the vast majical universe, that had kept the promise of hope alive in him.

For myself, I knew that I was on the right track. My own universe was expanding, with a new rainbow in the horizon. But, not just a rainbow for my own horizon... a rainbow for my son's horizon, too.

I don't think it was mere coincidence that we were given this experience at, most likely, exactly the same time. The connection felt way too strong.




I've heard it said that life imitates life. That's a very broad and subjective statement.


Yet, I've felt that all life resonates with the beat of one large and universal vibration, one thing being in unison with another.

It was more than obvious, at seeing the beauty and gracefulness of these trees, them having been apparently shaped, however unwittingly, by the sometimes gentle, yet often strong and forceful winds of change that sweep continuously across the oceans and the earth... or the winds of change that sweep our soul, to re-shape and bring about necessary change.

Life imitating life was present in the shapes and designs of the these grains of sand, patterns left imprinted, yet ever changing, from the ebb and flow of life... emotional waters, effected by many winds...


...strange, how the sand imitates the image of the trees that tower into the sky...



...noted, that the trees and grains of sand are both effected, uniquely, by the song of the wind...

...noted, how everything in motion, as all life is, is reaching ever upward and outward, in the hopes of continued expansion...

We can only hope that we may be able to become stronger with each wind, instead of weaker...
... growing older and wiser, with each passing year... able to withstand the next storm...



There will always be coming storms.

Storms are just another part of nature, that our inner life is trained to imitiate.




There is peacefulness in the beauty that surrounds the marshland, beauty that sources from calm and spent waters.















The warmth of the sun is reflected in all the beauty that abounds there.







The River of Life is constantly Flowing...







Take to heart, your observations...














... and keep on growing.


All photographs taken by Madpotter and myself.

8 comments:

Spicy said...

Shimmerings,
I do believe that there is a special bond between mothers and sons. I know there is between my son & I...and for this I'm grateful. Great post.

Dust-bunny said...

Okay, that is really scary. Wow. Are you a Capricorn?!? I can't believe I "got" that before I even read it!!

Again, you have taught your son well. I look at so many people around me that are wealthy, that define their lives by their "things", and I can't help but wonder where those same people would be at if God forbid we were faced with some kind of massive tragedy (like the stage 5 hurricane they keep threatening us with that we're overdue for...they say Long Island would be like New Orleans, with the exception of evacuation routes. We only have about three ways to get off the island, and if we evacuated on Tuesday, we'd still be sitting on the parkway by Thursday if we all tried to leave at the same time). If these rich people lost everything they owned, what hope would they have? They'd probably fall into a great depression, because they have no idea how to appreciate what's really true and real in life. The sun will rise every day; they can't have that kind of certainty with a Mercedes. That is truly tragic.

"Simply Me" and I saw a huge, beautiful rainbow before my surgery, and we looked like two geeks running back and forth on her porch to take pictures of it! We both called our kids to make them look at it, if they could see it where they were. Because we made it a big deal, they will now know that it is something special.

Another rainbow story...I remember on the day that Jim Henson died, Al Roker (an NBC weatherman) stood outside, all choked up, and said that he could not believe the huge double rainbow in the sky...that Jim Henson really must've known about the "Rainbow Connection" that he created...it was very touching.

Here's to many more rainbows in our lives...they are true miracles.

Shimmerrings said...

Matty, I couldn't say if the bond is between sons and moms vs daughters and moms, I don't have any daughters. But, I do know that I was always closer, in heart, to my dad. My son is trying to grow up. As is my eldest... we are growing, together, it does seem.

Shimmerrings said...

Lol, Lisa... you really did 'get it' before you even read it. But, no I am not a Capricorn, I'm a Pisces:O It is good to hear someone say that I taught my son well, when I have been criticized, by some, for enabling him to be irresponsible, by helping him too much. But, those persons are not blood related and have no blood children of their own... and do not understand the first thing about bonds and family dynamics. I do the best I can, understanding the family dynamics on a very deep and personal heart level. I can see steps and changes, where others can only criticize what they are not even capable of understanding. Nothing is cut and dried... and for every black and white scenario there is another muliti-colored version.

Gosh, I sure hope you don't have to go through one of those hurricanes, and it's scary thinking of how long you said it would take everyone to evacuate... wow!... that really is scary!... but, if you did, I know you would be one of the ones who would weather that storm with gratitude for simply being alive. Sometimes I think the powers that be take things from us to give us a wakeup call... or force a change, when we are unable... or unwilling... to make the change on our own. It's not what happens to us, it's what we make of what happens to us. It sounds as if you are teaching your own about the special things in life, too. It is, afterall, the simple things that have the power to make a big impact, if we will only recognize the importance. I'm glad you acted like a couple of geeks and gave your kids something really cool to always remember. We all have to have Hope... and be able to read the signs that the Creator leaves for us, like bread crumbs through the woods. Someone told me that there is, supposedly, always a double rainbow, just that you can't always see the other one. Spiritually speaking, that could be compared to knowing that we are always Blessed... we just can't always feel it.... therefore, don't always know it. The Blessings are there, if only we will reach out and accept them into our lives. And sometimes they are disguised.

Another rainbow story that I have... and which I am sure I shared with my son, and perhaps part of the reason that he was able to recognize the importance of one... is that when I took the long flight over to Germany, from the States, we had been up in the air a couple of hours and suddenly we began to smell smoke in the cabin. It could have been quite upsetting. This was not good. I had a window seat, and as I was gazing out the window, into the depths of the voluminous white clouds, I saw the shadow of the plane, so tiny up against that pillar of clouds... and the pillar of clouds in the back ground had rainbow colors running up and down them in a vertical fashion... and around tiny the shadow of that plane was a complete rainbow circle. I had the very strange feeling that no one else even saw this, nor felt the same assurance that we would be ok. I had a very peaceful feeling inside, I feared nothing. I know, inside, that we would land safely. As it turned out, the smoke had something to do with the air-conditioning system, or something... and we made the long flight without any other snag.

Sometimes things fill me up with so much awe, that I am continually amazed that other people cannot feel these same things... and wonder why I do, and others do not. As you mention, how tragic to feel/experience none of those things.

singleton said...

Absolutely beautiful post, scenic and soulful....

"Sometimes things fill me up with so much awe, that I am continually amazed that other people cannot feel these same things..."

Perhaps, we have to lead them there, show them that it's ok to throw they're arms wide open....
to believe....

Or perhaps, they never will.....

Double rainbows, simultaneously cast from the heavens, what a gift......

Shimmerrings said...

With arms wide open is the way I like to embrace life. If we don't have faith, all hope is lost... and no reason to even exist.

Dust-bunny said...

That's an amazing story about the plane and the rainbow. Have you ever put that vision into some kind of artwork? It sounds pretty awesome!

Shimmerrings said...

Oh, gosh, I've tried water colors and oils, thru the years. Not so very good with oils and not much better with water color. I keep thinking I'll give 'em another shot one day. Speaking of 'visions', I met an elderly artist this past weekend, who does paintings of visions that he's had. Bizzare paintings, to say the least.