Thursday, June 28, 2007

Native Androgeny

I decided to try my hand at creating a "bust". This is the result. I made "him" with raku clay. It will eventually be fired in a wood-fired kiln, which is the reason I went ahead and made pictures now. This piece will have to be glazed, and the glaze could vastly effect the future appearance of the piece, so I have to choose well. In a wood fired kiln, however, there is always the chance that 1/3 of the load will not be successful, due to possible cracking, all the glaze running off the piece, or even the glaze not shining up, if the kiln won't rev up to par, due to a multitude of factors. Soooo... here he/she/it is, before the firing. I can't wait to see how it turns out.



Face on, he looks like a woman

















From the side, she looks like a man












Levitating ain't easy... but it's fun...

No comments: