Wednesday,
we
received
a
little
late
evening
snow
flurry.
It
was
totally
unexpected.
I was sitting at my Mother's dining room table, working on her bank statement. I kept on working, but my spirit was feeling all kinds of wild things... while my kids, fully grown, were outside, acting out those wild things, that my mind could only think of doing, in that particular moment of time. That's my boys! Mama did good!
It doesn't snow much around these parts, here in South Carolina. When it does, it makes a really big impression because, mostly, it hardly ever sticks. Here today and gone, not tomorrow, but usually the same day.

I remember a few years when it did stick. The snow storm of '73, for instance. It snowed so much that my best friend AND my boyfriend got snowed in at my house. And my brother was dating my best friend, at the time. This was a tragic situation, to say the very least. My boyfriend couldn't go home? And neither could my best friend? It was truly a perfect scenario, for the sweet age of 19.
You have to understand. We have very little road equipment, for dealing with snow, down South. Back then, we had next to none, save a few good farmers who volunteered their time and trackers, to go down the road, clearing away a little snow. And all kinds of good samaritans, volunteering their 4-wheel drives to help out, where needed. In the rural South, snow equipment isn't even really needed, because it just plain old doesn't hardly ever snow. I can say, however, that when I was a child, we used to receive at least one ice storm a year, but global warming has about ended that once very Majical sight. You'd have to see a long leaf pine, with each individually long and slender pine needle, enveloped in a Shimmering sheath of ice, in order to appreciate what I mean... then, imagine a whole yard full of those Sparkling Jewels of Creative Wonder. Beautiful!
Here is what happens, in my town, when we get a little snow. If you happen to be a little kid in a classroom, and whose mind has quite naturally wondered away from the chalk board, finding oneself gazing lazily out the window, it only takes spying a couple of flakes, to have the whole classroom rushing to the window, excitedly watching the snow build into a steady momentum, one snow flake at a time. And it works the same way, if you happen to be a big kid, too, whose mind has temporarily drifted away from a boring day at work. Suddenly, everything is on alert! All school buses are stopped, and parents must arrange to pick their little ones up. And yes, businesses start closing, early. And you can bet, there won't be any school the next day, and nearly the entire town will be closed down, too. Everyone tunes into the local radio and television stations to hear the list of closings, hoping and praying that theirs is on the list. It usually is.
It's fun around here, when it snows! It's like automatic time off to play!
When it started snowing on Wednesday, I was unable to break away from what I was doing, but my youngest son, age 25, was about as excited as he could be. His new girlfriend, however, came back inside, "He's acting like a little kid out there! It's cold, I'm staying inside!" I was a little disappointed for him. Actually, sad would be a better word to describe the emotion, realizing that she didn't have the same playful spirit that he possessed. Will she be able to learn this all important secret to a happy, continually youthful, spirited life? I don't know, it may be too late. One can only hope. But, before you know it, my son was back inside, but this time he had my eldest son in tow, along with my youngest granddaughter. They were about to be having some serious fun!
It's a fact that, sometimes, my two sons have bitter and ridiculous ego clashes, and they had been caught up in some unpleasantry over the Holiday Season. It was small, as all ego bashes would have to be labled small, just because they're so ridiculous to begin with, and don't deserve any highly rated acclaim. A lot of tadoo about nothing worth wasting energy over. Nevertheless, it was enough to have kept them bickering back and forth, incessantly, for weeks. It was such a wonderful realization to see how quickly disagreements can be forgotten, when people can allow themselves to stop taking themselves so seriously, for just a fleeting moment, and feel the Joy in being innocently playful, when a little snow begins to fall. What an awesome thing that a few snowflakes can do, around here, to lessen the very real tensions that egos create. Too bad it can't snow all over the world, all at the same time. Who knows? Would war soon be over? Alas, I don't think it is the snow, exactly... more, the sense of child-like wonder, that some have, perhaps, never truly known. And, sadly, never will. No fault of anything, other than, often, a matter of unfortunate circumstances.
To carry the story further, the next morning, I went to drop off my son's car payment. As I enter, my old friend greets me, "Hey, did you see the snow yesterday?" she excitedly asks. "Yeah, I sure did!" And I related the story of my two sons having had such a wonderful time enjoying themselves, just acting like little kids. And then she told me her own story, with her own son. He, too, had been running around outside. "And he's 30 years old!" she exclaims. I knew her amazement, there, because my eldest is 30, also. She begins her sharing, "Mama, come outside, you've gotta see the snow!" She already had her jammies on, and was in her sock feet, so she told him she would just step out onto the deck. "Come on out here, Mama," he continues to plead, "you've gotta stand out here, in it!" She tells him that she can't come down, because she has only socks on her feet. But, that isn't working, her son just can't stand it, "Come on, I'll carry you out here!" Then he joins her on the deck, proceeds to pick her up, and carry her into the snow. Then, with his arms around her hips and waist, he lifts her straight up into the air, and encourages her more, "Look up, Mama, look up into the snow." I can just see her, in my mind's eye, with face aglow, rapturous smile, eyes crinkling, as she gazes upwards, and snowflakes flying wildly everywhere... some, gently kissing her face. It was one of most beautiful pictures that I've imagined, in quite some time. A true moment of the Heart... based on Joy, Love... a bond between a mother and a son... child-like wonder... and playfulness!

Try to make Snow Angels, every chance that you get. You will be Blessed, I promise, with Joy and Laughter!







19 comments:
WONDERFUL!!! That last image of your friend's son picking up his mom was amazing. What a good and loving son!! I hope mine turns out like that someday!
I LOVE the snow, and we are all disappointed up here because we are constantly PROMISED snow, and then it always turns into rain (I do blame it on global warming, I don't care what anyone says...if you look at pictures from Christmas when I was a kid, there was ALWAYS snow on the ground! Now, because the water surrounding our island has probably risen in temperature, it just turns everything into rain. We only get a good snow if there's a winter nor'easter)!
Last weekend they threatened us with 3 to 6 inches...everyone battened down the hatches...and we got...RAIN!! Cold, dreary rain. Bummer.
God bless your boys for being able to feel the joy and wonder of children...I would have been out there with my kids, most likely embarrassing them at this age. Me running around in the snow like a nut could only be something they'd appreciate as adults!
I'm so glad that you felt the joy, too! That wonderful spirit of childlike wonder that sometimes only snow can bring out in us!
Have a great week!
Lisa
Oh, Lisa, I LOVE the snow. When I was a mail-carrier, we once had a big snow, nearly as big as the snow of '73, but not quite as deep. It stayed around for over a week, and I remember walking across people's lawns, my feet sinking down, slightly, by a few inches, into a foot or more, of snow (and yes, we had cut out, early, the day the snow started, all carriers called back in). It was a spendid week, as cold as it was. I don't know what it is, but snow energizes me. It's almost as if it has some sort of majical ingredient in it, that just fills me with energy. I don't think I will ever lose that childlike thing, with snow, because I don't think snow will ever lose it's majic. I'm so happy my kids have it, too, that childlike wonder!
I hope you get some snow, Lisa! We were supposed to get some flurries last night, but we never saw a single flake. But it's 28 degrees out... brrrr!
I LOVE that snow angel.
Where I grew up (Chicago), snow was a staple and as an adult, I grew to hate it. Here in Philly, we get far less snow, and my son is so disappointed! But he made me like it again, despite the fact that this town falls apart during snow. We take walks, we make angels, we build snowmen--it is especially beautiful at night because no one is around (and in crime ridden Philly, that is saying something), so we can just trudge through the middle of the street and enjoy the pristine view. It's just a drag in the city that it won't last; the snow turns black and you can't drive anywhere.
What beautiful images you've created here my friend,
Transports me to another world...
Where angels are made of snow and love...and joy is always new.
Sending you my love and thanks for these beautiful words, Maithri
I hear ya, Enemy. Kids can really make ya love it. I'm just glad I passed the love of it on down to my own kids. Snow never sticks around enough, here, to be stuck with all that black snow. The most I ever remember snow being around was for, perhaps, a week... maybe two, just because it took it that long to melt during one os those storms that accumulated so much, not because it kept on snowing. I'll tell you what was beautiful, and that was when it snowed in Germany. OMG! Specifically, Bavaria.
Hello, Maithri, so glad to hear from you. Hope your trip went well. As always, your words are like warmth on a cold day... enough to melt snow, lol. Perhaps you are that Snow Angel, Blissful and Beautifully Blue, and Full of Love too!
Beautiful angel, beautiful words, for one here in gray Ohio, where we see the white stuff for 5 solid months. Such abundance!
Oh, Traveler, I know folks up in your parts really can't get into feeling the Joy in snow... because my sister lived there for the most part of the her husband's military career, and told me plenty. I don't envy the 9 months of gray skies, the dangerous snow drifts, that people can seriously get lost in, nor the broken pipes and cold, cold days and nights, when a storm suddenly puts things in the lerch. The bottom line isn't the snow, it's the chance to not let go by one moment to enjoy the innocent moments of child-like play. For us, snow is a major culprit in giving fully grown adults excuses to play. I hope you find your own ways, in Ohio.
And, guys, I didn't snap these photos, myself, so I can't take any credit for them. We didn't get this much snow, this time. It didn't even stick. I was blessed with finding them on the net. I did, however, tint the snow angel blue... brrrr...
Oh, beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I have goose bumps. And come a long hot summer day, when the news reports its 90 something, 100 plus with the heat factor, I'll be drawing snow angels at the beach
and remembering.....
and clinking!
to your forever snow......
May it fall from every sky!
Hey there, Sing! I'll bet you don't get a whole lotta snow your way, do ya? Yeah, she looks nice and 'cool'... as in crisp and clean. Be sure you make a snapshot of your Sand Angel, k? Clink back to ya... having Merlot tonight :)
Interesting how perspective affects our approach.
UP here in the frozen north it was twelve below zero this morning, yet there was something about the direction of the light that told me spring was coming.
I'm gradually getting to the point where I don't worry much about the squabbles of my kids, ages 23 and 18. It's now theirs to iron out.
Hi, Mystic, long time no see... but welcome back. Yes, indeed, perspective is everything. It's a major word in my spiritual vocabulary. I've had to change mine, often. I can't IMAGINE how it feels to be in temperatures that low. It's been below zero, here, before, but not sure it ever dipped quite that low. That might bite! I can say that the small moment of bliss between the brothers has nearly left their presence. They love each other, there is no doubt... but, I'm like you, let them iron it out, themselves, Mama doesn't want to be involved. Why, the youngest just called me up this morning, "Mama, you aren't going to believe this"... *sigh*... I hope you'll drop by, again.
I made a snow angel on New Year's Day! And it's still there, 'cause snow in Colorado doesn't really melt. My first angel, my first snowy winter ever. I'll be 27 this year. Even though I've almost broken an ankle on more than one slipper sidewalk and grumble endlessly about the cold... I'm still feel like a little kid, secretly.
You, my dear, are very perceptive - I loved the image of the son holding his mother in the snow. I wish it were possible for me to do that with my mother...
Hey there, Electric. Glad to see you back! I'm almost ready to get a photograph up of my baby, but it's still not fully opened. I moved it around so much, and it had a kink in it, anyways, it's head is sorta bent down... and we've had such overcast skies, the light has been low. I finally took Gary's advice, however, and started leaving her in the one spot in the window, because there is more light there, afterall, instead of moving her around trying to protect her from the cold. She's a bit more tough than I imagined, apparently.
I can't believe it! Your very first snow angel! And your very first wintery snow, too? What a Blessed year for you, eh? I'm glad you liked the image I shared. I had already been thinking about making the post, just because of my own experience... but then when my friend shared her own experience, I couldn't NOT share it, it was just too beautiful! I'm glad to hear you love your own mom that much, Electric. That's a special thing. I've always had a great relationship with my boys... even when they don't "do right"(according to Mama) we never let our Hearts get apart. Is your mother in another state? Are you like from a very hot climate, originally?
I'm South African, born and bred. I'm in Colorado to study for a PhD in plant genetics at CSU. My parental units both live in Pretoria, my beautiful home town. I adore them - they are remarkable people. South African summers are hot and have brooding afternoon thunderstorms. The dry winters have blue skies and are not nearly so cold as this place!
Wow! I can see how you must have enjoyed this snow, coming from that place. I'll know it has to be absolutely beautiful there, however. I'll bet those afternoon thunderstorms are something to behold, after the long hot day. Do you find many orchids there? I'll bet you do wish you could lift your mother up into the snow, that would be a moment to remember :) I'll bet you have one of those marvelous British accents.
such a lovely story. ist good to always have the spirit of fun and playfulness. i hope ill never lose that.
and i really like the positivity of yoru title.
may you ocntinually be blessed Ms. Shimmerings!
Hello Dell, thanks for dropping by. I, too, hope you never lose your spirit of playfulness. Thing is, if you already are playful, you most likely never will lose it... you have to have it, in the first place. Good for you, you've already got it!
Post a Comment