
Sing gave me the idea for this post, when she responded to my last with "... a tour through your world..." If you click on the photographs, the pictures will enlarge so you can seem them closer up.
So, here's a couple of shots of my kitchen window, the one that's right next to the stove. I have some of my favorite things there. There's one of my very first tiny face jugs. Gary made the jug, I put on the face. He actually hates making face jugs, because they take up so much time, but, they are really good sellers, everyone wants one. But, these are not to be confused with my little Ancient Faces, which are made an entirely different way, and are my own, while the face jugs belong to him. I just assist with them, sometimes. I actually have a lot of fun making the faces, while it's such a waste and bore for him. When I made the one in this picture, I had made 3 very small ones. My mother ended up with one of them, as a Christmas present in '06. Another was sold and went out somewhere, in another part of the country... and this one, I was sneekily able to, somehow, manage to keep for myself. I just sorta put it up in the window, when we had brought them home to "make pictures of my very first face jugs" and, well... he just sorta let him stay. Now I will always have one of my first face jugs, just like he still has his very first, even today. The face jugs are a mystery, really. The style of pottery that he makes is called Old-Edgefield style pottery and is made just like they did in the old days, when pottery was made by the slaves, for utilitarian-vessel-type purposes. The slaves made these faces jugs, and nobody really knows the true and for sure significance of them. It has been noted, however, that similar type wooden carved faces have been found on the graves in the Congo, so perhaps there was some spiritual significance to them. The faces were usually very crude and primitive looking, like the ones you see in the background of the picture of Gary, that I took through the pottery window in the previous posting. As you can see, with this one, my 'creature' tendency had already started coming out. He looks a bit 'oinkish', lol.
The rest of the stuff is just pretties for catching the sun; a crystal candle-holder(which is awesome reflecting on a bright and sunny day)shaped like a lotus flower, which are very symbolic to me, and atop that is an egg shaped mineral of some sort (that I can't remember the name of) but it's supposed to draw away negative energies. I used to keep it in my work place cubicle, lol. I just think it's very pretty, and if it did it's job, then I'm very grateful. Next to that is a beautiful chunk of citrine that I once helped someone very special pick out, while they were walking through a place called Heaven On Earth, and talking to me over their cell phone. It's very shiney and brings so much warmth when the sun is reflecting through it. I remember the first time I held it in my hand. It's there for just that, the warmth. To the left is a small wooden bowl filled with pottery necklace pieces that Gary made. And then there's another beautiful crystal that I like, sitting in the flower pot, because it has a baby and a rainbow... and is so pure and white. The green and white thing on the far left is another type of stone, whose name I also can't recall, that has been carved into the shape of a sleeping cat. It's just very comforting and, again, warm. And, there's my swan sun catcher, that I bought at Neuschwanstein Castle, in Germany (which means New Swan Castle). His childhood home, Hohenschwangau (gau is like seat of the government, I think) Castle was built on the ruins of Schwanstein Castle, which had been built by a bunch of knights. I believe this was all above Swan Lake, the reason for the reference to swans. Neuschwanstein was one of several castles of one of the last Kings of Bavaria, King Ludwig. I became intrigued with him, he was quite an individual. And last, but not least, my Sun sun catcher. The Sun is my symbol for the Creator. Nothing like the Light to cast away darkness.

This brings me to the beautiful orchid that I purchased just last night. Tadah!!! I wanted a nice shot of her, now, while she is still opening... and when she is open, I will post another. She's a Lady Slipper Paphiopedilum (I hope I spelled that right). Gary gave me an orchid last Valentines and I managed to let it die. I let a lot of things die *sigh* . About a month ago he came home with two he'd bought from a friend and fellow grower, one for him, and one for me. But he wouldn't let me take care of my own. He was afraid I would kill it. I can't imagine where he'd get that idea from :P Recently, I talked him into giving it back to me, afterall, I can't very well learn how to care for them if he doesn't let me. That one has already bloomed and is tucked into a different spot till spring, when it will go outside. And this beautiful new baby is all mine! I can't wait to see her opened up. She's gonna have spots and hairy things. She's a cross between two different kinds.







19 comments:
Singleton is one of the finest bloggers out there and I don't say stuff like that too often.
I love coming here. It is like entering your home,so much peace and beauty. That orchid alone is a metaphor.
Hey there, enemy! I finally finished that book. I was sorely disappointed. However, I had known, somehow, that it wasn't going to go my way, at some point in time. To add to that, after it went the wrong way, I lost interest, it became very boring and was very hard to finish, but I did. I agree,
Sing is one of the very best. Her words are always like a symphony. The girl could be making money from it!
I've moved my orchid around several times since I got her home. First, because she's in the kitchen, to keep the grease off of her, then to keep the cold window air off of her. I'm babying this one, for sure. She won't be dyin' on me!
Come back again, enemy.
I am not good with plants, either...well, houseplants anyway (I seem to have much better luck outside)! I did get a "good luck" bamboo about two years ago, and it's doing really well, oddly enough...but I've managed to kill so many plants that had some significance (like my mom's African Violet that hadn't bloomed since before she died, and bloomed two flowers from one stem the day my daughter was born). So good luck with the orchid! I'm sure it'll do fine.
Loved your window, and was especially intrigued with "Heaven on Earth"...could you share more about that? Thanks!
Hey Dust Bunny... if it makes you feel any better, a few of the plants that I have managed to kill are, well, the very first one Gary gave to me for Valentines, for starters. That's bad enough. Before that, I managed to 'let die' the huge flowering Antherium that Tim, my late husband, bought me the last Mother's Day before he died. And they are one of the easiest plants to raise! You really have to kill them! I also let die his Japanese Maple, that he was bonsai-ing(?), as well as one of the HUGE wild ferns that I dug up from the place where he and I had lived, before I left from that place, after he died, that he and I had dug up, together, from a bog, and planted in our own garden. Whew! Just to name a few, lol. All I can say, about having let such significantly important flowers die, is that, at the time, I was recovering from the loss of his life and moving from place to place, everything in a tumble and crowded, there was simply no order, no room, and no control of much of anything. This orchid is very much symbolic of the hopes, love, and attention that I am ushering forth for the new year ahead of me... with my re-connection back to my true self, as a loving and nurturing person, and to Gary, who first brought orchids into my life.
Heaven On Earth? It was a very unique little store out in California, in the San Diego area, I suppose, that Tim liked to rumble around in, before he moved to Carolina. I believe they sell things like books, stones, incense, candles and such. I am still finding his book markers, with their log on them, everywhere I look, he must have gotten a hundred of them. I believe the name really appealed to him, and he was always searching for Heaven on Earth, anyways. I guess when he didn't find it here, he figured he'd do the real thing, eh? Lol. Anyways, when he came here, he came baring gifts of incense and candles, for the start of our new life, together, and the perfect card to express just those sentiments. He also brought along this little bit of citrine. It was really significant of US, together, I suppose. He had strolled through the store, as I was on the other end of his cell phone, over here in Carolina, and as he came to different stones, he touched them, rolled them around in his hand, described them to me, told me all about them. And from that experience, I had chosen the citrine, his description of it had appealed to me. It was, really, very symbolic of me, as well, for it goes hand in hand with my spirit name, and he knew that. No wonder it had appealed to me. He first handed it to me while we were sitting in a restaurant having coffee. Now that he is gone, I see it as my stone, more in tune with who I am, now, than anything to do with US. Afterall, he left this plane, and there's nothing left of US now, but me. And me has switched over from US to WE (that's me and Gary, maybe I will tell that story one day, if I haven't already). I like to keep the citrine on my personal altar, a lot, but I recently moved it to the window, where I would enjoy it more, and where the Light would Shine through it, offering Warmth, Hope, and cleansing of the Heart. And that's the story of Heaven On Earth.
Thank you for telling the story. I'm sure that my husband and I would love a store like Heaven on Earth (so would Simply Me, not sure if you're familiar with her)! What a nice remembrance of Tim.
My husband bought me an artsy-craftsy type necklace with a slice of amethyst and a small citrine in the middle of it (it's really unique with a story behind it of how it was made, maybe I'll post a picture of it someday). I love stones, but I'm really not familiar with their meanings...something to look into, I guess!
Dust Bunny, I hope you will post a pic, one day, of the necklace. I have one of those too, lol, a special necklace. Maybe one day I will post about it. It's is connected to a dream.
Crescenet, thanks so much! I can't read your language :(
Shimmerings,
What a delightful idea! A view from your window. Perhaps I should do that sometime.
I love plants...I have so many that Hubby has threatened to walk in one day with a chainsaw. I even bring them back to life for others who have let them die. I don't really baby them. I keep them clean (dust-free)yes, I wash their faces with a wet cloth, water them once a week & mist them. That's it.
I'm thinking of getting some orchids. They are beautiful! And I love your facejug. Very creative. It's good to be doing things with your hands. Maybe someday I'll be able to do some pottery. Cheers!
Hi, Matty, it was Singleton from The Hippie Parade whose words inspired me to do that. But, I have just been so delighted with my new orchid that I wanted a snap shot of her for all to see, so this went hand in hand with Sings words. I love plants too, unfortunately, I don't have much room for them. I'd love to see a shot of yours. Orchids don't require much water, In fact, very easy to over water them.
lovely kitchen..i wish i had that..and having plants is an added refresher.... i agree with what enemy said here!
Dell, thanks! You don't have a kitchen? We are still working on this one. He's done a lovely job with things. And such discounts on all the things. He spent $5.00 on the dishwasher from Goodwill, in perfect condition, a Whirlpool. $10.00 on the range hood, in perfect condition, the stove top was free, his brother gave it to him, never been used before, and the oven combination was free, too, never been used. The tiles on the wall were all on sale when he bought them. Marble tiles, $1.00 and $3.00 a box. He's very thrifty! Thanks for dropping by.
What a wonderfully eclectic windowsill. Your photographs brought some real joy to my day. Each piece has some significance or story - I like that. And what a stylish jardiniere: it fits the sinuous shape and mottled foliage of your Paph. so very well. It looks like it's a wine-coloured Maudiae-type hybrid to me, but I'll reserve judgement until we've seen her in full regalia. Ooh, the anticipation.
Indeed, the anticipation! She already had the kink in her when I found her... she was leaning against a shelf, poor thing. I really need to find a stake for her. I've had to move her a couple of times, so she's been a bit confused with her shape, I think. She's only opened up a tiny bit more. Patience, shimmerrings, all things in their own time. And yeah, the jardiniere was just perfect, what a lovely package deal. I'm not so sure I can leave the crystal there, however, I'm already freaking about one of her leaves, but Gary said it's no problem, the leaf, that sometimes older leaves will get weak and fall off. I originally stuck the crystal up there to help stabalize it. Maybe by Monday she'll be in full bloom! Thanks for dropping in!
Oh, EOH, I believe I recall Gary saying that name, Maudiae, and another name. Geez, now I'm gonna have to learn these freaking names! He has a friend who is about to become a judge, been working at becoming a judge for like 8 years... which means he has to know thousands????? Is 8 years even long enough to learn how to recognize and pronounce that many? Wow! I have the little tag that came with it, unfortunately it doesn't have all the information. I believe it referred to the color as something to do with raisens. I'll put that info in when I have her fully opened.
There are tens of thousands of orchid species and hundreds of thousands of orchid crosses and hybrids out there - it's impossible to memorize them all. However, certain crosses are famous and historically significant, Maudiae being one of those. Raisins... Several paph. grexes have been registered with a Raisin-ish name, like Raisin Jack, Raisin Candy, Raisin Pie...
And best of luck to your friend the trainee judge. It takes skill, patience and sacrifice to become one. A true orchid lover!
By the way, I've linked you on my blogroll. However, the name of my blog is 'Eclectic Epiphytes and Electrophoretic Epiphytes'. Confusing, I know, but we're stuck with it! ;)
Oh, gosh, she blushes :s I have corrected your name. Thing is, I should have not made that mistake, "you unique, and stands out from the rest, ancient wisdom-like one one whose growth clings to and spurts forth from bounding off the last bit of knowledge, with respect for, and not suffocating out, those whose works have gone before you, and whose unceasing fluid energetic motion clings and reaches ever more to the higher realms of wisdom". Yeah, that's you! Ha! And yes, it was Raisin Pie :)
Hello, I just wandered over from Electric Orchid Hunter's blog. Kitchen windows are very telling-- you can sense much about a person by what they choose to place between themselves and the world outside. Your window feels very calm and secure.
Hello, Aine, thanks for dropping by. You came here by way of an excellant blog, by the way. I like the fact that you read into stuff... an observer. People can learn a ton of stuff from silent observation. Thanks for the nice observation. I strive to be those things, lol. Perhaps they are a symbol of my intention. We have to start somewhere, may as well be the window... that place between myself and the rest of the world. I hope you'll drop by again.
Post a Comment