Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Self-Portrait in Mirror Reflection





In thoughtful wonder
Dreams are thrown free
Silence Whispers
To the Powers that BE
Thank you, Creator
For Blessing me.






Today was the last day at my work place. Today was the beginning of a new life for me. Today was not simply defined by having lost my job, it was defined by something much more powerful and significant. Today was more than beginning a new life... it was leaving a past one behind. I feel totally unemcumbered. I feel set free. I feel the possibility of soooo many things before me.

In the late summer of 2002, a man, whom I loved deeply and quite dearly, traveled across the country, all the way from California, just to be with me. He must have loved me a whole lot, to have left the laid back energy of California, to find his way into the South. I can say that he certainly had his reservations. He'd heard about the South, ya know. I can't imagine what went through his mind, as he traversed the one lane, one-mile dirt driveway, full of ditches and pot-holes, that required constant re-shoveling, and that had sent him deep into the middle of the woods, to find the little block hunting cabin, where I was waiting, and that we would call home. It was a beautifully private and peaceful haven, in which to start a new life. But, two years later, he would be dead, leaving behind a jumbled aftermath, in me. It also happened that I began my job out at Fort Gordon during that very same summer, just weeks before his arrival. I had started out at Roads & Grounds, and moved up into Transportation. First as the gopher, next as a fill-in at the NTS desk, later into Inbound for a couple of years, next as Receptionist, lastly as an Outbound Clerk. I loved my job. But I hated and despised getting out of bed at 5:00 A.M. and making the long commute. Worse, I hated the work place atmosphere. I loved my co-workers, like sisters... but most of them were a bunch of cut-throat bullies, who had been reared in dah hood. Thank the Powers that BE, I can finally move on. I have survived.

I started taking my things home two days in advance. I can't believe all the stuff that can accumulate in a small cubicle. Much of it turned out to be things that had been given to me by my co-workers, over the past Holidays. I'm anxious to be rid of the energy that clings to them, so that I can move on. Two days ago, the older gentleman, who has kept my desk in fresh flowers, from tiny blooming twigs, in tiny vases, stolen from blooming shrubs asks, "If I give you a plant, will you promise to keep it and cherish it forever and ever?" As I made my way through the office, the final half hour, getting hugs from each cubicle, he gives me a piece of a purple plant, tucked neatly into a dirt filled cup, and I issue forth, in my finest Scarlet-like drawl, "oh, I will keeep it and chairish it fowah evuh an evuh." Next cubicle, the lady who had made a racist remark about my caucasian hair. She knows about all the nasty germs in caucasian hair, she had told me, because she read about it, she had said. This, upon my arrival at that place. Big hug to her, too, with her golden colored contact lenses, sporting tiny pin point pupils (I read somewhere, once, that those who are possessed of eveeel spirits have tiny pin point pupils). Gloria, secretary, office event planner, and Peacemaker, had forced us into the office, together, after that remark, 5 years ago, where we had both shed tears and made up.

Before I can make my way to the final desks, so that I can spend a moment with each one, they have ushered me back to my own desk and begin clapping and chanting, "Go Sarah! Go Sarah!"... at which I am forced to do my little happy dance! We do have some rituals in that office that can't be ignored! The Transportation Officer (govn't watch-dog) goes for his hug and says, "Well, since it's the last one, let's take it reeeal slow," then he embraces me and grabs my (somewhat) silken hair and strokes it one last time... and begins telling the girls how he usually liked to come by my desk a couple of days a week and play with my hair. Mostly, he just liked to muss it up, to get on my nerves! He didn't tell them about the time he had snuck up behind me, stood smack behind my chair, and watched as I took one small Reeses cookie out of the pack, closed the drawer, then continued to watch as I pulled the cookie apart, and began toothing the peanut butter from the center. Right in the middle of this ritual, I had heard a voice that was too close for comfort, begin to speak, "That's the way I like to eat my cookies, too."... I had screamed, I mean literally screamed, having been taken by complete surprise. How did he get behind my chair?... and I hadn't even heard a sound. It's a small cubicle, afterall, and he was actually standing in between the back of my chair and my desk, as I had my chair swiveled sideways. That sneaky bastard! It felt invasive, to say the least. And I had been caught. My secret was out. I liked to eat my cookies the way most folks like to eat their Oreo's... the creamy center first. So, as he stroked my hair, for one last time, I grabbed the new girl, with equally silken hair, and shoved her in his direction, "Here, I bequeth you this hair." All laughed. I was merely glad that I didn't have to endure the attention anymore.

More hugs from more people, some hugging way too long, tears in eyes. I hadn't wanted this big goodbye. I prefer small private goodbyes. I had given out little gifts, in spurts, over the last few days and exchanged email addresses and phone numbers, and given away my work place Bible... no, not the King James version... my home-made version, of the right way to do everything, from A-Z, sample copies included. I'd even held up a little book that I couldn't resist buying, and told my supervisor that this was for the rest who remained in their jobs, and that if they wanted to keep their jobs, I encouraged them to read it, entitled When To Speak Up and When To Shut Up. She had thought it uproarously funny and had ran around the office showing it to one and all. I was going out laughing. And I had shared, with them, that when one door closes, another one opens... and I felt Blessed that I had the opportunity to begin again, with cash in hand. And looked forward to what the future may hold. Scared... but elated.

I was only unkind just once. Gimme a break, I'm human, ok? And it was only after the bosses best friend had finally gotten on my last nerve, by asking me yet one more question on how to do something. I just simply said, "Ask Norma." Norma is the one who has been there for eons. And who still doesn't know how to do everything the right way. "Ask Norma?" Regina had asked, staring wide-eyed. "Yeah, go ask Norma," seemed the right thing to say. I had not one more tidbit to share. And they both knew what I was talkin' about. And no, she didn't get my office bible, though she had surely asked. Let her make her own, as I had. My own was now well hidden, deep in the dark bowels of someone else's unsuspecting file cabinet. Somewhere, deep inside of me, however, it doesn't feel as if the gifts and hugs will balance out the evil done from my withholding... somewhere, down the road, I will pay.

Earlier in the day I had rushed out the door to spend 10 minutes, before my next customer, at the bench near the little froggie pond. The bench had been moved further back, and the little pond was now so over grown with water flowers, that you could no longer see the water, much less a tiny frog. It was here, I had sat, when Tim had brought us lunch, and had placed the tiny diamond on my finger, beautiful antique-ish hand made setting, picked out from The Raven's Hoard. It was earlier in the day when I'd taken the picture frames down, from my cubicle, mom & pop, children and grands, me and my new love... and Tim's, for the very last time. It had been hard to take his picture down, as the 3 years had passed, since his death. I had merely moved it around, away from the eyes of those who might ask, "Oh, who is that in the picture playing the guitar?" ... or worse, "Does he still play the guitar?" Why anyone would even ask that question was beyond me. Why wouldn't he??? ... other than he might be dead! Even worse than that was the one who had asked, just weeks after his passing, as she had gazed up into his photograph, "Is he ok? I mean, is anything wrong with him, is he ok?" I just sat there, amazed. "Why? Why would you ask?" I had shared that he had died. But that he's ok now. She had shared that Jesus just sometimes tells her things, and she had felt compelled to ask.

As I made my way from Human Resources, for the fast 15 minutes of out-processing, turning in my employee identification badge, government computer access card, and the car sticker that had allowed me quick access onto the military installation, I felt a pang of sadness and a very strong draw to return to the froggie pond. I saw, in my mind, Tim... as he had walked through the office, greeted my fellow employees, as I had introduced each one... and I saw him sitting at my work cubicle, when I was still in Inbound. I felt the familiar sweetness of all the many emails, from him, that had filled my work place email box, but that had been deleted long ago, after my bully of a supervisor had threatened that she'd better not find anything in our email box that was not work related (though I'd seen her viewing her own forwarded emails, music and all). I saw Tim, on bended knee, at that bench near the pond, taking the ring from the box, looking up into my eyes, with loving intent, "Will you marry me, Sarah? Will you be my wife?" As I drew closer to the road, where I might turn to go there, I could not wipe that vision from my mind's eye. Nor the sound of those words from my head. "Will you marry me, Sarah? Will you be my wife?" In my vision, he never left his knee, as the question echoed 'round and 'round, over and over in my head. As much as I was pulled strongly to go there again, one last time, I knew that it was all over, and he was no longer there. It felt almost disloyal, to drive on by, leaving him on bended knee, but as much as I had wanted to turn right and then turn, again, left, and sit at that bench, one last time, and reply to his question... the most I could do was remember the feel of those last 10 minutes I had sat there, earlier in the day... when I had savored the aroma of warm pine straw on a sunny fall day... and enjoyed the feel of the wind slightly blowing, as it carried that sweet scent. I had felt all the emotions that come along with every fall season of any year... and remembered other past emotions associated with the aroma of pine needles, as they are basking in the sun. I refused to turn... instead, drove past the road that would have led me there. My head was saying, "You aren't there, anymore. You won't ever be here, again. You left me, you know... so, get up off your knee, it's time to move on."

I drove past the gate, small chokes in my throat. And felt so totally free. It is the Beginning of a New Era for me.

I met my new Babe at Nacho Mamas... swilled down a couple of wheat beers, as we ate guacamole and chips. I shared all these thoughts with him. As I shared those thoughts, at how elated I was that I never had to return to that place, and how fortunate I was for a chance at a fresh start, he said, "But, Baby, we're poor." I disagreed, and again using a false accent... this time, I threw in a little hillbilly... and related to him, in the truest sense of thought, "Baby, we ain't poor, 'cause we got love." In that I feel rich! I hope he understands just how important and how very real this day is for me. Afterall, it's not just the ending of my job... or the beginning of my new life... it's a really true start for WE.

10 comments:

Spicy said...

Is that you Shimmerings? You are absolutely gorgeous. I think you reflect the beauty in your words & your soul.. Well done!

Enemy of the Republic said...

Oh, this is lovely.

Shimmerrings said...

Thank you, Matty, yep that's me. I finally decided to show my face. Took me long enough. You'll never guess, I took those shots (this one and the one on my profile) from my reflection in the mirror, with my arms lifted up, camera over my head. Pretty, cool, eh? Rofl... it was fun. I don't know what my significant other will say, he's an potter/artist/photographer... he will probably think it's flakey, with the little lights reflecting, from the flash, but I liked them. Gave it just the right majical look, along with cropping and adjustments of color with my pc program. The one from my profile was made without a flash, and I had to brighten it, thus all the pixels were grainy looking... but, better to hide my 53 year old imperfections, lol. I have more stuff to write here, to add to this post. Perhaps tomorrow or later tonight. Thank you for your kindness.

Shimmerrings said...

Thank you, Enemy... as I shared with Matty, I took it with a flash in the mirror, and cropped out the arms over my head. :O

Dust-bunny said...

THIS WAS THE MOST AMAZING POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS........first I got a tear in my eye...then I belly-laughed out loud...then I actually cried!!!! Girlfriend, you totally moved me tonight.

You have an amazing attitude, and you are so talented and beautiful. Good luck to you in everything you do, and God will bless you with a wonderful, new opportunity!!! I believe it with my whole heart.

BTW...I hope you don't mind me asking...but it's hard to tell from the pictures. Is your hair very blonde, or is it a light gray? Again, I'm sorry to ask...if it's blonde, please forgive me! I'm not wearing my glasses right now. But if it's gray, do you have any advice for growing it out? I'm contemplating doing that now. Thanks!!

Shimmerrings said...

Oh, Lisa, I'm so happy that I could share this story well enough for you to feel every bit of it. That's what sharing is all about, or it's not worth sharing. My hair is actually gray... and sorta beige. My natural color was dark brown, like your own. When the gray started setting in and never intended to color it, until people started saying things like, "Why don't you cover up your gray!" I started frosting it, paint frosting it, and it actually looked pretty good for a few years, in tri-color, looking quite natural, and I got a lot of complements on it... until it got so gray that trying to frost it had me looking really washed out and colorless. Eventually, because my hair is so fragile, it became too damaging to try and cover it with blonde, which was nearly impossible, anyways. I finally stopped using all hair products, beyond shampoo and conditioner, and let the gray grow out. It turned out so well that people still think I frost my hair, because it is the color of beige, with streaks of whitesh, silvery gray. People can't believe it's natural, that I'm not streaking it. I have thin, baby fine hair... it just can't tolerate chemicals and I don't like my hair all stiff and sticky. It takes a lot of time and patience to let it go natural. I only gave in once it became impossible to color it and still have it look natural.

Shimmerrings said...

p.s. Lisa... temporary colors, but even those don't entirely wear off... and it is much harder to get a temporarily color to turn out not looking green :s

The Geezers said...

This is a great post.

Damn. Now I'm going to feel compelled to delve into the past and read your work from Day 1.

The reflective self portrait is very interesting. YOu clearly have talent in many arenas.

Shimmerrings said...

Why thank you, Mystic. A lot of my posts are mere rants or otherwise confusing bits of information, during bleak times. People found In The Beginning, and One Shy and Freaky Little Girl to be the best, I think. After that it just sorta went down hill... long spurts of nothingness. But writing here has kept me sane... that's what it's all about. Do feel free to look around. I hope you can find something worth your while.

Enemy of the Republic said...

By the way, I will give you all the breaks in the world. You are a great human!