Saturday, April 09, 2011

What A Freaking Year...

Well, no cancer, thank the Powers That Be, but last Wednesday came and went, and my son went on off to do his time. At least, if you look his name up, it gives a projected time of release and a projected eligibility date for parole... except his attorney says we have a sorry parole board and hardy anyone ever gets out on parole. But... on the other hand... our state is so broke, maybe they will just kick him right on out, once he reaches the estimated date of eligibility. In the meantime, he's got a long row to hoe.

That was Wednesday. After two days of not hearing from him, I find that he's been moved for his R & E... till he gets to his permanent place. Only 3 days go by, only 3 days of nearly clean breath, when my beloved mother is involved in a terrible car wreck, She's in the Shock Trauma ICA, but luckily it's one of the best on the East Coast and my mother is receiving excellent care. She's broken 16 ribs and has a fractured sternum, broke her left ankle as well as her left wrist. She has one cervical bone broken, in her neck, but it's no danger to her. She has two thoracic vertebrae broken in her back, and they plan to do surgery, next week, fusing 10 of those together and inserting a metal rod on either side of her spinal column. No injury to her internal organs. She's a tough lady and we know she's gonna make it through. We all miss her, already. While making phone calls to update everyone about my mother's condition, she suddenly goes, "oh, I'd better call mother to update her, too"... hmmm... while sitting at work, I start thinking, "I'd better call mother and check on her," hmmm... and last but not least, my youngest son continues to come home, for lunch each day, because that's what he always did... only her home cooking isn't here, when he arrives, and he wonders why he keeps coming home. The puppies miss her and I haven't been able to make up her bed... instead I just let her house gown lie across her bed, and sometimes keep her bedside light on, waiting for her to come home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I try to think of something helpful to say... Perhaps to share a Pema Chodron video. Maybe a song or poem. And, nothing good comes. It all seems so...trite(?), you know; especially from someone so separated from your personal reality, as I am. And I know, you being the spiritual life warrior that you obviously are, that anything I'd say has probably already occurred to you anyway.

Gees, you are definitely in the hot seat right now. All I can do here, looking back over this and the previous post, is to thank you for sharing all of this, letting us trek along at a distance, because it does make the rest of us feel not so alone when leaning into the sharp edges of our own realities.

You teach simply by sharing. And that's a unique gift.

Thank you.

Wishing you peace, and light upon your path.

Bill

Shimmerrings said...

Bill, thanks for the Peace and Light... just wishing that is worth more than any "possibly trite" thing that one might say. And, just so you know, I don't write all these things in an attempt to pull in comforting words... I write because it helps ease the discomfort of my "sometimes beastly" world, by letting it all out; however, in my expression, if one stops by to express, from their own heart, that they are wishing all good things, upon my world, then this, in itself, helps strengthen the heart... and, for that, I am eternally grateful. And... truth be known... I also wanted my blogger friends to know why I may not be commenting on their own blogs, when I ordinarly might. I still love you all and have not forgotten you all :D

Bill said...

Are you not the one that shared the David Whyte video on your blog? Came back here to find it and it's gone. But, anyway, just want to tell you what a gift that was to me. I keep seeking-out his work online. And tonight I purchased his album "Return" with music by Jeff Rona. Absolutely wonderful. Moving. Thought of you and thought I'd pop in to say Hi.

Thank you.

Praying the best for you in these times.

Bill

Shimmerrings said...

Hi Bill... yep, that was me who posted it. Here's the link to the spot on my blog: http://taleoftwosouls.blogspot.com/2010/12/david-whyte-journey.html I searched and searched and could not find it, either. Had to actually go into "Edit" mode to find it in my postings. Thought, perhaps, I had accidentally put it into "draft" mode, the reason it wasn't showing, but it wasn't the case. There must be some malfunction of some of the operations on this blog. Bummer! I have been soooo far behind in logging the titles to my postings, on the right side of my page. Guess I need to do that :) So much to do, so little time :( Anyhoo, thanks for the info and, as always, thanks for popping by. With mother in the hospital, I've no time to write :( I'll have to check David's new stuff out.

Anonymous said...

There are certain human beings whose mere existence in the world gives me hope... You're one of those my friend.

Love and light to surround you,

M

Shimmerrings said...

Maithri, my friend, you ALWAYS inspire me. I sure miss blogging, but all I can do, these days, are short FB sentences, lol... and I miss reading your blog... life... it just keeps happening...