Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thoughts... and The Difference Between Thinking and Feeling...













I was thinking, today, about the reasons that I read some blogs. It came to mind, that I sometimes live through other's dreams. For instance: I don't have the sort of choices that I might ocassionally prefer. This is due, in part, from some of my own previous choices... and partly, due to the circumstance I was born into. But, in the end, I don't have all the creature comforts I would prefer to have. I'm not always comfortable with my circumstance. And I don't have the freedoms to do the things I might like to do... or the freedom to act on my desires, at will. I can't just jump into my Mini Coooper (I don't have one) and ride down to the beach (I live at least 3 1/2 hours away) and jump into the surf (besides, it's been ages since I've even been in the ocean water). Instead, I might read where someone else has grabbed their fins, jumped into their sports car, ridden down to the ocean, just bits away, and experienced something akin to what I might like to experience, exhileration-wise.

There's a lot that I can't live... but, I guess I can live some things through someone else. I'm thinking that's what story-telling is all about, from the reader's point of view, anyways. Add to that, I like the style of some blogs. Instead of being long winded, whiney sorts, like mine can sometimes be, I enjoy sometimes following the thought processes that others might share... instead of all that heart stuff that I tend to share. It's interesting, sometimes, following where someone's mind leads them, instead of the heart. In fact, it can be down right hilarious, where some thought processes go. So... today, while driving the boat, I started thinking about the thoughts I was thinking... if you know what I mean. And never mind how I felt about anything, in those moments (ok, I might cheat, it's hard to go cold turkey)... in fact, who really cares about how I feel... it was more about the thoughts that were passing through my brain. Thought I would give it a shot, this different way of writing. See the below.

It was another typical Sunday, driving the boat. The wind was light and breezy. Ocassionally the sun would come out, but mostly it was behind the clouds. I remember looking at the flag, atop the old mill. Someone asked, once, if they have it illuminated at night. You're supposed to have it illuminated, at night, they had said, if you are going to fly it at night. Yes, had been my response. I had seen it illuminated, on many night drives, and had even taken a night photograph of it, illuminated, once. Now I was noticing the Christmas lights around the tower. They weren't on, but I was wondering how long they had been there. Did I just never notice them, before, or had they been there all along? Then I noticed the sky. It was beautiful. It was a bright, bright blue, accented with fluffy white and gray clouds. I didn't know if I'd ever seen it that blue, before. Then I remembered that I was wearing my sunglasses, and they always make colors look brighter and more intense. I pulled them away from my eyes, and glanced at the sky. The light hurt my eyes, and I squinted as I covered them back up. I couldn't help but repeat the process, just checking the difference in definition, a couple more times. I don't know why, really. Then my attention became distracted by the sight of a hawk, soaring high above, riding the current in the sky. It looked like great fun. Oh, but to fly, that would be grand. Then I turn my attention back to the water, where there's a bridge coming up that I must pass under. There's a guy fishing, from atop the bridge. He starts reeling his line in, and I slow the motor, giving him time to pull it in, just before passing underneath. The tour guide's now talking about shotgun houses, and making some lame joke about why she thought they are called shotgun houses, before she found out the actual reason that they are. Her way of delivering her vocabulary is annoying, her history and facts are sometimes slightly off... but, she's a good guide, all in all. And then I wonder just what being a great tour guide really means. Each one is different from the next. No one gets it all right, all of the time. And each one has their own little quirks. I miss interacting, that way, as a guide. The Captain is just driving, hardly ever talking. And then I remember how one of our Captains used to annoy one of our guides, because he was very boisterous, and full of quacky humor and energy. You never knew when he was gonna pipe up and change the subject, right in the middle of your tour. Sometimes it worked, and the crowd would roar... other times, it was way out of line, and I felt a little embarrassed for him, in their lack of enthusiastic response. My supervisor thinks Captains should sit there and shut up, that it's only the tour guide who should be part of the show. I was a tour guide, back then, when she said that, but I didn't feel the same. I looked at each Captain, and I saw how they each contributed, in their own way, towards the special character of each individual tour, adding their own special flavor. Some were... well, crazy, and sometimes out of line. Others were bashful and never spoke unless spoken to. Yet, others were down-home and welcomed each one with warmth and kindness. I didn't agree, that Captains should remain silent. It felt, to me, that they were a part of this package... and their participation contributed to, not took away from, the tour. I thought, too, that it was good to have us each feel a part of this process, this touring process... like family. It had seemed, to me, that this supervisor (who used to be a guide) did not like the Captain stealing her show. She was not able to share the stage. And I think of myself, and how I interact. I'm pretty serious, and have my mind on the safety and well-being of the people for whom I am navigating. I think I take it too seriously, but then how serious do you take someone else's life? I'm not as relaxed and laid back, instead I'm concentrating on scooting the boat through the small opening in the bulkhead gate (boat 13ft wide, bulkhead 15 ft. wide). I'm not tolerant of little kids standing on their feet, in the seat... because I don't want to see them topple over. I worry that someone will have a heart attack, on my watch, and I might have to perform CPR. It's not as much fun, driving, as guiding. But... sometimes I am able to relax, once I've made a good pass through the bulkhead, and didn't even lose a splinter of wood. It's then that I might take a moment to watch the soaring hawk, catching a ride on the thermal wave... and then I might think of my blogger friend, who is somewhere, in Cali, easing into his alpha, grabbing his fins, riding down to the ocean, and catching another kind of wave.

I dock the boat, wipe up dots of something that looks like a combination of bird crap and watery white paint, loosen the lines, hook up the chargers, flip the switch... and I'm gone.

10 comments:

Bill said...

Once again, just lost in the story and lovin' it... :) Thank you.

BTW, I live 5 minutes from the ocean, and can even see it from our home - yet, there are whole days (and sometimes whole weeks) that go by and I hardly think about it... I live in So Cal, yet dream of Maine... Go figure...

My sister in Tennessee always says, "If I lived there..., I'd be at the beach every chance I got..." And, I realize that would be true for about the first month or so..., then it would become just "another place" to live and work...

The grass is seldom (if ever) greener...(or the ocean bluer..., or whatever... haha.)

Shimmerrings said...

You are so right, Bill. We are never quite satisfied, with where we are at, and what we are doing. We seem to always be dreaming of soemthing else... on the other hand, nothing happens without first dreaming the dream... and, depending on how much energy we have, and how deep our desire... and how open the Universe is to our sometimes lame song... we just might awaken the dream.

Always a pleasure when you drop by.

Bill Robertson said...

I like your journal ..it gave me the sights, sounds and feelings of being a riverboat captain. However, I don’t believe you can leave the heart out of writing ..thoughts and feelings are inseparable. For instance, I pick up on your feelings of nostalgia for when you used to interact as a tour guide ..and you pick up on my feelings of exhilaration describing the west coast.

I have been told I write more from the head than the heart ..and I admit I try to copy the style of Jack Kerouac and writers like him ..and I’m not very good at it so it comes out sounding rather dry. But I like to think it resonates with people who share a similar background, growing up on the west coast and such. I know the California dialect sounds rather flat and monotone and drives people from the East Coast crazy. I don’t believe my blog would appeal to them.

Shimmerrings said...

I really like the way you write, which is why I am always reading, there. It's sometimes hard to write from the heart... which is why I haven't posted many things, in a while, other than music. On the other hand, music is soooo much a part of who I am, and so the music is really descriptive of who I am, as well... and expresses soooo much more, than any words that I might be able to write. I notice that, sometimes, the way you write seems to be coming from an observational level... and that's what appeals to me, because I think the thoughts inside your head, regarding your observations, and the thoughts that trail, thereafter, make things interesting... and, tell more than, perhaps, than you might realize, of who you are. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read Kerouac, though I know, well, his name. I'm not sure what you mean regarding California dialect. My husband was from San Diego, and I loved everything about his California energy.

Bill Robertson said...

I over-generalize (sorry) ..but there is a west coast writing tradition that differs from the east coast. It’s kind of local ‘stream of consciousness’ ..and borrows from Asian notions of observation. You don’t have to read Kerouac ..there are other people who write in this fashion like Tom Wolfe, Ken Kesey, Tom Robbins and Maya Angelou to name a few. I apologize if it sounds like I’m lecturing ..I am trying to give you an idea of where my journal writing is coming from.

Shimmerrings said...

No, you are not lecturing at all. I appreciate you filling me in on something I wasn't aware of. It's interesting that you say the style of writing is from an observational level, because that's what I became aware of in reading your stuff... but, I didn't know that it was an intentional style of writing... I thought that you were just practicing this type of writing, as a part of your spiritual attention (for inner awareness, perhaps), and not as a "style" of writing, persay. And, that you say it is Asian (as observation is)... then, do those who wrote this way, are they like familiar with Asian spiritual practices?... or just something that has developed from that region because of decades of Asian influence? This is interesting. And strange that I, from the east coast, would actually like that way of writing, since you say that us folks are usually irritated by it.

Bill Robertson said...

Both are true ..it’s intentional ..and part of my practice .. and what I so pretentiously call the ‘west coast tradition’ is the result of both regional Asian influences as well as their spiritual practices. They’re inseparable. That’s probably why you relate. If this is somethng you want to explore futher, I recommend a delightful book titled ‘Dharma Bums’ by Jack Kerouac. Big influence on me.

Shimmerrings said...

Thanks, Bill... I'll add that to my list of books to buy. Actually, maybe two that I now want for Christmas, then.

Bill Robertson said...

By the way, I’ve resumed writing my ‘job stories’ (I was only halfway through). I’ve only posted one more ..and it’s kind of long ..but it goes to the end of my career in the computer industry ..and it’s followed by a video of one of my favorite songs, Now I feel like I can make a fresh start. I put back the link to it ..not sure why I took it down. Anyway, you can see it here ~> jobstory16 ..if you’re interested.

Shimmerrings said...

Oh, yeah... thanks, I'd gone looking for it, and the other one you were doing, but found they were... well... not to be found, lol. I"ll check it out.

Oh, I was thinking... I knew there was something I was doing wrong, trying to stylize my writing, that way. I was trying to be observant... but, found that I wasn't just being observant, I was also "thinking"... and, before you know it, I had some heart stuff in there. As you pointed out, it's impossible to separate the two, impossible to think without including some heart. . Perhaps if I had only been observing? That's gonna take some practice!